Monday 13 September 2010

Figs in rum - and almost a fire in the kitchen

On the market last week I finally found black figs, lovely and ripe and very cheap, so set about making Nigella Lawson's figs in rum to serve with marscapone come Christmas.

I should warn you, however, of the dramas that unfolded when I tried.  After adding the bottle of white rum to the sugar syrup, I lifted the lid of the pan only for the whole thing to begin dancing with pale blue flames as the alcohol fumes caught fire.  Take care if you try the recipe, particularly if you cook on gas.  Fortunately, on this occasion, once I'd turned off the heat and put the lid back on, the flames died away almost immediately.  

Anyway, moving on from the health warning, the final figs have filled the jar looking bulbous and appealing, waiting for Christmas ...



Figs in rum, macerating for Christmas ...

No comments:

Post a Comment