Saturday 14 August 2010

Nadine Abensur's Aubergine stacks with sun-dried tomato

I have a rather strange but interesting cookery book from the 1990’s: Secrets from a Vegetarian Kitchen by Nadine Abensur, a who grew up in Morococo with Jewish and French roots. I was given it, but although I’ve looked through the recipes – very guiltily – I have never cooked anything in it. So I thought I would extract the best of the recipes and post them so I have no excuse but to try them.  The first is with aubergine (and slightly amended to my tastes).


Aubergine stack with sun-dried tomato mousse

2 aubergines, cut into slices ½ cm thick.
salt and pepper
5 tablespoons of olive oil
a few drops of Tabasco
175g of fromage frais
75g sun-dried tomato purée
1 tsp of hot water

Mix the sun-dried tomato paste with the hot water and the fromage frais. Blend until light and smooth.

Fry the aubergine slices until they are dark golden. Place on kitchen paper and add salt and pepper with a few drops of Tabasco and balsamic vinegar.

To assemble, place a large slice a large slice of aubergine on each individual plate and spread a little of the mousse on top. Repeat this layering process until complete. Serve with salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment