Tuesday 3 August 2010

Sage - something other than stuffing

According to the wall chart sage is for flavouring cheese dishes.



Garden Sage (Salvia officinalis) grows well in the dustiest, driest parts of our garden and also in the dank corners. I rehabilitated a supermarket plant, which now flourishes with bunches of aromatic purple flowers every July.   It is reputed to have a range of healing and spiritual properties as a herb, and I sometimes dry bunches of it to use as a sage smudge stick when I'm doing the spring cleaning, because I can be a terrible hippie like that, and it fills the house will an illuminating, light fragrance better than Fabreeze.

A home made sage smudge stick

Anyway, I've also been using sage a bit in cooking - in a risotto with fennel, peas and sage,


Risotto with sage

And also with beetroot and goats' cheese


Goats' cheese rolled in sage

I'm going to have a look in the recipe books this evening and try and find something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment