Saturday 28 August 2010

Bärenfang: an experiment in honey liqueur

Following recent investigations into cooking with honey, which led to the German honey liqueur, Bärenfang (so obscure that I have yet to find anyone German who knows of it), I decided to try and make my own.

Anyway, this was my version.  It is, it is fair to say, quite, nice.  And may become a cooking ingredient.  I made the mistake of using the cheapest vodka I could find, which smelt of surgical spirit.  Better to use something a little bit nicer.

Home made Bärenfang (lit, Bear trap)


1 medium bottle of vodka (not the cheapest)
a teaspoon of orange flower water
50g sugar
half a jar of orange blossom honey

Warm the vodka on a very low heat and add the honey, sugar and orange flower water.  Stir until the sugar and honey have dissolved.  Pour into bottles and keep in the freezer.  It is a pale yellow colour, not bad but fair to say a little strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment