Sunday 25 July 2010

Heather honey, pine honey

I've been buying rather a lot of honey over the last few weeks.  It began with orange blossom honey (see Honey, Honey Ale and Milk and Honey, below), but my collection has recently expanded to include Bilsdale Heather honey from Long Newton Grange Farm, which I bought at Root's farm shop (see Food from the farm shop, below), and Greek Pine honey (bought today at the supermarket).

Long Newton Grange Farm - heather honey from Bilsdale

I tried the heather honey with butter on toast, it was strong and sweet and delicious - very good with a cup of Smoky Earl Gray tea (from Mariage Freres and brought back along with the Saveur du Soir when O and I went to Paris).

Honey and butter on toast

The Pine honey is darker, and richer - with the scent of thyme (from which it is probably mixed) and a resinous sweetness like liquorish and also pine.  It is just the sort of thing that would go with Greek yogurt or the jar of baby figs - I'll try and let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment