Wednesday 28 July 2010

Lavender and other edible flowers

C and I were shopping yesterday when we discovered sugared violets, sugared rose petals and all kinds of other edible flowers (cornflowers, red rose petals, lavender) on sale for cake decoration.  The idea of sugared violets in cava came from a cocktail we once had in the ancient London establishment, Rules, but our recent experiment on the train from Paddington, only turned the cava bright blue.  I bought some sugared rose petals to see what affect these have.

The lavender in our garden is in full blossom at the moment.  Lavender has a bad reputation, redolent of unwanted bars of lilic soap and bunches of dried flowers bleaching on the windowsill.  However, real lavender has a heady, sensual aroma.  If you have ever walked through a field of lavender in Provence, the scent of the rising essential oils is almost narcotic.


I'm going to try and find something to I can make with it.  I found a recipe for lavender biscuits, but I just wanted to post this to remind myself.  I also chanced upon a recipe for Lavender liqueur on the Confessions of a Kitchen Witch blog.

Lavender, much underrated

No comments:

Post a Comment