Thursday 15 July 2010

Something for carnivors

I once knew a chef who told me the greatest pleasure his profession awarded was that he 'actually got to kill something', (namely lobsters and crayfish).   With this in mind and courtesy of the (generally marvellous) George Monbiot, I thought I should include a post for the red in tooth and claw: instructions for catching, killing and cooking the red-clawed signal crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus).


The Signal Crayfish

I've including this - of course - because you will be doing the fragile ecosystem of our inland waterways a service by extracting the main competitor of our endangered white clawed crayfish (Austropotamobius pallipes).


The White Claw crayfish, for more details see the Defra website

On the subject of piscine pleasures, here is something else I saw in the news yesterday. It is the kind of story that makes it worth picking up the Metro from the tube floor: boy catches giant goldfish (then throws it back). Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment